- Maximum performance of 2 minutes and 45 seconds for Soloists, Duets, and Trios.
- Maximum performance of 3 minutes and 30 seconds for Small Groups and Large Groups.
- Maximum performance of 6 minutes for Production Groups.
- There is no minimum time requirement.
If performance proceeds the specified time, there will be a point deduction unless extra time is purchased. The fee will be $2.00 per person per minute over allotted time.
If performance exceeds time limit you will be cut off.
Performance times will be strictly adhered to in order to ensure a smooth running show for all participants. Each performance will be announced by the MC. If music runs over specified time limit then music will be cut off. All participants must be lined up and ready to perform no more than 3 performances before their set and no less than 1. If participants name has been announced and the music starts and you are not ready to perform, the participant will be eliminated from the competition and there will not be any refunds. It is very important that all participants be prepared and ready to go when stage runner calls you in order to ensure a pleasurable experience for all.
Music submissions are due by May 8, 2021. You will be able to upload your music using the link below. All music will be reviewed by the music director prior to competition. The link provided will close May 8, 2021, at 11:59 pm. THERE WILL BE A $15 FEE PER LATE SUBMISSION.
Along with the online submission please bring backup music in the form of a flash drive. Label all flash drives with your event name, director’s name, school/studio, and division. Flash drives MUST be handed to the volunteer checking you in for your performance. If your school/studio has dancers competing in multiple events, one flash drive may be used. Music in the flash drive must match the song title on the registration form.
BEFORE SUBMITTING: Please remove any explicit lyrics, or there will be a 5 pt. deduction.
Sun City Dance Classic will have 2-5 judges per category with at least one specialist in that particular category. Each registrant will be judged based on this criteria:
- Formations and Transitions
- Synchronization and Timing
- Body Placement & Control
- Strength in Movements (motions)
- Proper Technique of Dance Movements
- Eye Contact & Showmanship
- Crowd Appeal Compliments Music
More information will be given to directors/instructors prior to competition at the Directors Meeting.
VIDEO & PHOTOGRAPHY
More details will be announced as we get closer to the event.
Tickets to attend Sun City Dance Classic (May 19, 20, 21, 22) will be sold online. Competitors do not need to purchase bracelets; directors will be provided bracelets for their dancers prior to competition at the Director’s Meeting. As of right now we will be allowing spectators inside the Coliseum, but this is subject to change. The ticket price will be as followed:
- 1-Day Pass: $10 per day
Listed below are the different forms of dance that will be categories in the competition on February 25th -28th . In addition, there is an explanation as to what judges will be looking for in each category. You may register for as many events as you would like. If a category or division has less than three entries, it will be combined with a similar category or division (as needed). For example; Jazz will be paired with the open category and the Ballroom will be paired will Folklorico.
- BALLET – Routine should contain ballet technique incorporating classic movements
- FOLKLORICO– Routine must utilize folkloric/ethnic style of dance such as Hawaiian, Spanish, Polkas, Clogging, etc.
- JAZZ– Routine must consist of jazz technique; splits and floor rolls are permissible.
- LYRICAL/ CONTEMPORARY– Routine that combines both lyrical and modern movements.
- MODERN– Routine consisting of interpretive movements using contemporary/modern technique.
- TAP/ CLOGGING– Routine consisting primarily of tap/clog technique.
- POINTE– Routine must consist of pointe/toe technique. (This category is not permitted in the Primary Level)
In the above dance categories, only three gymnastic tricks are permissible. A deduction of 1 point per judge will result for routines that do not comply. Minimum lip-syncing and talking are permitted if a character is not portrayed.
- ACRO/GYMNASTICS– Routine using controlled movements and flexibility, walkovers, aerials, backhand springs, etc. Must incorporate dance technique.
- BELLY DANCING– Routine that is primarily a torso-driven dance, with an emphasis on articulations of the hips.
- BREAKING– Routine should consist of four kinds of movement: top rock, down rock, power moves, and freezes. Typically danced to hip-hop, funk music and especially breakbeats.
- COUPLES/BALLROOM FORMATIONS– Routine should include a style of ballroom dancing that has pattern or shadow team dancing by couples in a formation team. Styles that may be portrayed include; Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Quickstep, Viennese Waltz, Rumba, Cha Cha, Swing, Jive, Samba, Mambo, Bolero, and Paso Doble.
- FLAMENCO- Routine portrays Spanish folk music and dance. It includes cante, toque, baile, and palmas.
- HIP-HOP– Routine demonstrating street style of jazz that incorporates hip-hop and/or funk choreography.
- KICK- Routine should showcase clean, strong kicks, as well as team synchronization.
- KRUMPING– Routines should focus on the four primary moves of krumping; jabs, arm swings, chest pops and stomps.
- OPEN– Routine creatively demonstrating any style of dance or a combination of dance styles.
- POM POM– Routine using pom-poms with incorporation of precise and definite movements.
- POPPING– Routine should consist of street dance and funk styles along with technique that involves quick contraction and relaxation of muscles to cause a jerk in the dancer’s body.
There are 3 age divisions at Sun City Dance Classic divided into other sub-divisions for competition purposes. The Junior, Senior and Adult divisions consist of the following:
- Junior Division (5-12): This division includes Pee Wee (5-6), Junior I (7-9) and Junior II (10-12).
- Senior Division (13-18): This division includes Senior I (13-15), Senior II (16-18)
- High School Division: This category will only allow High School Dance Teams.
- Adult Division (19+): This division is for any competitors who are 19 years old or older.
When registering for competition, please note that the average of ages in a group, duo or trio will determine the category your team will compete in.
- HOWEVER, THE OLDEST MEMBER OF THE TEAM MUST NOT EXCEED 3 YEARS OVER THE AVERAGE AGE.
- ANY TEAM MEMBER WHO IS 20 YEARS OR OLDER MUST COMPETE IN THE ADULT DIVISION. DIVISIONS WILL ALSO BE DETERMINED BY THEIR AGE AS OF JANUARY 15TH, 2021.
All dance participants will be required to show proof of age. You can upload a photocopy of identification card or birth certificate.
There are 6 divisions at Sun City Dance Classic. These include:
- Small groups: This division is 9 dancers or under.
- Large groups: This division is 10 dancers.
Each act that performs will receive a score from a panel of 2-5 judges. Each division will have preliminaries to determine 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for each dance style. After preliminaries, all 1st place winners will advance to the FINALS for the Grand Champion Awards. Banners will be presented to the Grand Champions along with the following cash prizes:
- Junior Grand Champion: $100
- High School Grand Champion: $100
- Senior Grand Champion: $100
- Adult Grand Champion: $150