Listed below are the different forms of dance that will be categories in the competition on February 25-28 . In addition, there is an explanation as to what judges will be looking for in each category. You may register for as many events as you would like. If a category or division has less than three entries, it will be combined with a similar category or division (as needed). For example; Jazz will be paired with the open category and the Ballroom will be paired will Folklorico.
- BALLET – Routine should contain ballet technique incorporating classic movements
- FOLKLORICO– Routine must utilize folkloric/ethnic style of dance such as Hawaiian, Spanish, Polkas, Clogging, etc.
- JAZZ– Routine must consist of jazz technique; splits and floor rolls are permissible.
- LYRICAL/ CONTEMPORARY– Routine that combines both lyrical and modern movements.
- MODERN– Routine consisting of interpretive movements using contemporary/modern techniques.
- TAP/ CLOGGING– Routine consisting primarily of tap/clog technique.
- POINTE– Routine must consist of pointe/toe technique. (This category is not permitted in the Primary Level)
In the above dance categories, only three gymnastic tricks are permissible. A deduction of 1 point per judge will result in routines that do not comply. Minimum lip-syncing and talking are permitted if a character is not portrayed.
- ACRO/GYMNASTICS– Routine using controlled movements and flexibility, walkovers, aerials, backhand springs, etc. Must incorporate dance technique.
- BELLY DANCING– Routine that is primarily a torso-driven dance, with an emphasis on articulations of the hips.
- BREAKING– Routine should consist of four kinds of movement: top rock, down rock, power moves, and freezes. Typically danced to hip-hop, funk music, and especially breakbeats.
- COUPLES/BALLROOM FORMATIONS– Routine should include a style of ballroom dancing that has pattern or shadow team dancing by couples in a formation team. Styles that may be portrayed include; Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Quickstep, Viennese Waltz, Rumba, Cha-Cha, Swing, Jive, Samba, Mambo, Bolero, and Paso Doble.
- FLAMENCO- Routine portrays Spanish folk music and dance. It includes cante, toque, baile, and palmas.
- HIP-HOP– Routine demonstrating street style of jazz that incorporates hip-hop and/or funk choreography.
- KICK- Routine should showcase clean, strong kicks, as well as team synchronization.
- KRUMPING– Routines should focus on the four primary moves of krumping; jabs, arm swings, chest pops, and stomps.
- OPEN– Routine creatively demonstrating any style of dance or a combination of dance styles.
- POM POM– Routine using pom-poms with the incorporation of precise and definite movements.
- POPPING– Routine should consist of street dance and funk styles along with a technique that involves quick contraction and relaxation of muscles to cause a jerk in the dancer’s body.
- AERIAL DANCE WITH SILKS- Routine that incorporates an apparatus often attached to the ceiling, consisting of Silks and a Hoop.
- SPARKLE (Adaptive Learning Dancers)
There are 3 age divisions at Sun City Dance Classic divided into other sub-divisions for competition purposes. The Junior, Senior and Adult divisions consist of the following:
- Tiny Tots (8-): This division is for any competitors who are less than or 8 years old.
- Junior Division (9-14): This division includes Junior I (9-11) and Junior II (12-14).
- Senior Division (15-18): This division includes Senior I (15-16), Senior II (17-18)
- High School Division: This category includes High School Dance teams.
- Adult Division (19+): This division is for any competitors who are 19 years old or older.
When registering for the competition, please note that the average of ages in a group, duo, or trio will determine the category your team will compete in.
- However, the oldest member of the team must not exceed 3 years over the average age.
- Any team member who is 20 years or older must compete in the adult division. Divisions will also be determined by their age as of February 1, 2022.
- One 20-year-old will make the group a full adult group in the grand champions, the ages will not be averaged down on that day.
All dance participants will be required to show proof of age. You can upload a photocopy of your identification card or birth certificate.
There are 7 divisions at Sun City Dance Classic. These include:
- Small groups: This division is 9 dancers or under.
- Large groups: This division is 1-10 dancers.
- Production groups: This division is 11 dancers or more.
- High Schools: This division is for high school dance teams only.